Kathy Gruver, Doctorate in Traditional Naturopathy and author of the new book The Alternative Medicine Cabinet, says, “We can’t control what is outside of us, but we can change what we think and what we eat, and we can be healthier and stronger. It’s very simply an educated decision we must make for ourselves.”
Ms. Gruver says that eating naturally is a conscious choice. “The things that we consume everyday are making us fatter and sicker. If we eliminate the fast food, the soda, the MSG, and the GMOs, (genetically modified organisms)”, she says, “we can reclaim our health.”
Mainstream medicine is usually needed when things go really wrong. Are there times those things are needed?
“You betcha,” she says. “but we’re too reliant, too hypnotized by the quick fix and the happy bouncing egg advertising the newest drug on TV. We underestimate our own power to avoid health problems. “
“Take charge of your own health. Make the decision to stop eating artificial foods, to lose weight, exercise more, and you will have more energy and be ill less often”.
Here are some quick tips from The Alternative Medicine Cabinet:
- If you’re suffering from muscle cramps, headaches, constipation, sleep or mood issues or PMS, Magnesium might just be what your body needs.
- If you have sleep issues, B vitamins can help, but don’t take them too late in the day as they can cause sleeplessness. Adding Melatonin or L-Tryptophan can also help, but don’t take L-Tryptophan if you are on special drugs for depression.
- Gruver says that the best thing people can do is to eliminate the following things from your diet for better health: MSG, artificial sweeteners, GMO foods (corn, soy, cotton), artificial coloring and flavoring, soda, milk, wheat, high fructose corn syrup and processed foods. “It might seem like a challenge, but the rewards are worth it,” she says.
- Headaches, depression, asthma, skin conditions, allergies all can be caused by the toxic chemicals in artificial foods. A lot of the problems people have can be remedied with fasting, a change in diet and cleansing.
- One of the biggest quick fixes people can make to feel better every day she says, is to just add more fiber to add more health.
- Ms. Gruver says that people have problems with repetitive stress injuries because over time our bodies have become weak. “We rely on machines and computers for so much of what used to be done with old fashioned elbow grease. I’m not saying I want to go back to the days of wringer washers and push lawn mowers, but if we can increase our physical activity rather than sitting in front of a screen, our bodies and minds will be healthier and less apt to injury.”