Not only will you be wearing a costume this Halloween, but you can dress up your dinner too! Trick your family into believing they are indulging in a rich and creamy ice-cream dessert with this gluten-free, dairy-free pistachio gelato recipe. This dessert-in-disguise will be a welcome treat after a day spent in wigs and capes. Happy Hallo-GREEN!
- 2 cups roasted, unsalted whole pistachios – use divided
- 2 ¼ cups of water
- ¼ teaspoon kosher or sea salt
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juice
- green food coloring – optional
- Put 1½ cups pistachios in a bowl and cover completely with water. Soak for 1 to 8 hours. Drain and rinse pistachios in a strainer under cold running water until the water runs clear.
- Chop the remaining ½ cup pistachios with the salt in a food processor until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Set aside.
- Put the soaked pistachios in a blender with 2¼ cups of water. Process for 2 to 3 minutes or until the mixture is very smooth. It should be the consistency of very heavy cream, e.g., pistachio cream. If too thick, add a little more water and blend.
- Take ½ cup of the pistachio cream and mix with the cornstarch until completely blended.
- Pour the rest of the pistachio cream into a large saucepan, combine with the chopped pistachios and sugar and cook over medium-high heat until it just starts to boil. Add in the cornstarch mixture and cook for 1 minute, stirring constantly. The mixture should be the consistency of pudding. Take off the heat and stir in the lemon juice. If you want the color a little greener, stir in some green food coloring drops, a few drops at a time, until it becomes the desired shade of green.
- For a smooth gelato, push the mixture through a strainer into a bowl. For a chunkier texture just scrape the mixture into a bowl. Top with a piece of plastic wrap placed directly onto the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Let the mixture cool to room temperature then refrigerate for about 2 hours or until cold.
- Put mixture into an ice cream machine and process for 20 to 25 minutes or according to the manufactures instructions.
- The gelato can be eaten immediately or stored in the freezer in an airtight container. Take out of freezer for about 5 minutes to soften before serving.
- Makes about 1 quart.
*Please note – if you make this recipe with salted pistachios, leave the additional salt out of the recipe.
For more delish recipes, visit www.thegreennut.org