National beauty brands are always raising the bar when it comes to incorporating unique and exotic ingredients, and it’s important to know exactly what these quirky ingredients do for us… Check out the hot new beauty ingredients for 2012!
1. Monk’s Pepper Berry
- Called “the ancient elixir of happiness” – in ancient Greece, monks used to brew pepper berries in hot water and drink as tea. This tea actually promoted feelings of happiness and, years later, was also found to have powerful antioxidant properties (when ingested and applied topically)
- Fights the signs of aging, promotes a radiant glow and protects skin from free radical damage
- Example: Every product in the new Stages of Beauty brand has the monk’s pepper berry ingredient (cleanser, scrub, treatment cream, serum, etc.).
2. Sheep’s Wool
- Chemists have extracted a protein peptide called ProSina from the wool of New Zealand sheep
- ProSina improves the condition of damaged nails by seeping into the nails, resulting in the integrity and cohesion of the nail plate. Strengthens weak, brittle and/or peeling nails.
- Example: Dermelect Cosmeceuticals’ anti-aging nail treatments (base coat nail strengthener, Launchpad, concealer and base coat ridge filler, Makeover, fast drying top coat, High Maintenance and moisturizing cuticle cream Rejuvenail)
3. Seaberry Oil
- Derived from the sea buckthorn shrub native to Siberia (think cold!) with skin repairing and highly moisturizing properties
- High in carotenoids, vitamin C, amino acids, minerals, sterols and polyphenols
- Carotenoids are a natural shield against UVA/UVB rays and also accelerates skin rejuvenation
- Great for extra dry skin, acne, eczema and scars
- Will not find in many products because it has a bright orange color and a unique fragrance, so it is a challenging ingredient to master
- Example: Found in Fresh’s Seaberry Restorative Body Lotion