With ingredients like garlic, Romano and mascarpone cheeses, and Italian sausage, these savory mushrooms will keep guests coming back for more. The creamy mascarpone mixed with the sharp Romano complements the sausage, while the mushrooms serve as a salty base that is perfect for guests to munch on. The simple recipe and spice-filled flavor make these mushrooms an easy choice before any Thanksgiving feast.
Sausage Stuffed Cremini Mushrooms
- Cremini mushrooms, about 1 pound, stemmed, quickly rinsed and patted dry
- Juice of 1 lemon (about 3 tablespoons)
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 8 fl. oz. mild Italian sausage (may substitute with spicy Italian sausage)
- 1 tablespoon Nielsen-Massey Madagascar Bourbon Pure Vanilla Bean Paste
- 3 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 shallot, minced (about 1 tablespoon)
- 1/3 cup freshly grated Romano cheese
- 1/3 cup plain panko bread crumbs
- 1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Coat a 9×13 inches baking dish with cooking spray; set aside. In a medium bowl, add lemon juice and oil; whisk to combine. Add clean mushroom caps and toss to coat; set aside.
In a large non-stick skillet over medium heat, add sausage, vanilla bean paste, garlic and shallot. Cook and stir until crumbles are done, about 8-10 minutes. Reduce heat to low and add Romano cheese, bread crumbs and mascarpone cheese; stir to combine. Remove from heat.
Place mushroom caps in prepared baking dish and reserve remaining lemon-oil mixture in bowl. Fill each mushroom cavity with stuffing mixture and drizzle with reserved lemon-oil. Bake until done, about 10 minutes.
Makes about 24